Seeking Help for a Dental Emergency in Innisfail?
If you sustain an injury to your mouth, you know that a trip to the dentist is urgently needed. But what about other aches and pains? How do you know when emergency dental treatment is necessary?
If you experience any of the problems outlined below, you should contact our office immediately:
- If you lose a tooth, pick it up by the crown and try to place it in the socket, or place it in a glass of milk. If you get to the dentist within 30 minutes, Dr. Tym may be able to reimplant it.
- Broken or chipped teeth can often be repaired. If possible, save the chip.
- Broken brace wires can become embedded in the soft tissues of your mouth. Do not remove them yourself – see your dentist immediately.
Some problems do not require urgent care but do need attention:
- Swelling and pain should never be ignored, even if the pain is manageable. A dentist can identify the problem and prevent an infection from spreading.
- Loose teeth can be a sign of disease and should be examined.
- Food and bacteria can become trapped in the space left by a lost filling, so treatment is needed.
- Bleeding gums can be a sign of gum disease and should be checked by a dentist.
- Children who lose a primary tooth early may need a spacer to stop other teeth from drifting into the gap.
When in doubt about an emergency, always contact us for advice on whether immediate treatment is needed. Our office has a 24-hours answering service for your emergency needs. Call us at 403-227-3011.